Saturday, January 24, 2009

Making Some Progress

After finishing up the framing and wiring we started to run some insulation, we got to the point where we needed to run the component video wires for the TVs and had to wait for them to come in after we ordered them online.

When the wires came in we ran them.  We had planned on putting the satellite receivers in one place on the trailer, and ordered two 50ft lengths and then realized the receivers would work better in another place and as such we had way too much cable.  So we ran it up and down the trailer to take out the slack.

Once we got the video cables ran we started to put up the lights and test out the electrical system.  And all the lights and plugs ended up working just fine, as you can see Blake is pleased.
The next big step was to start getting the exterior side door cutout and hinged and working.  Needless to say as amateur carpenters hanging a custom made door is not the easiest thing in the world.  So we started by cutting out the door in the side of the trailer with a skil saw and got to work.
It took some serious thought and a lot of sanding and planing to get the door hung.  But as you can see it is now up and working!  

Next on the agenda is to completely finish up the door completely and start working on the interior siding. 

Thursday, January 15, 2009

More Framing

So we continue to frame things in and are making progress on getting the interior of the trailer looking like something actually usable. We are building a big seat in the front of the trailer that will accommodate several people as well as serve as a place for some of our more hard drinking team members and friends to pass out on. In addition it will also serve as a storage space under the cushions.
We also found a portable air conditioner to put in the trailer off of craigslist and decided that we wanted to put something around it to keep it in place when we are traveling so we built an enclosure to house it and will make some ducting to help it work when everything is all installed.

Since we are having a portable air conditioner as well as a margarita machine we had to go to a 220V electrical system, so that meant a breaker box and and few breakers to get things how we want when it comes to the electrical system.

Now Dad I know that all of the wires leading from the exterior generator plug are the same color, but trust me I labeled them on the wire VERY clearly so that nothing could get mixed up.
We have made more progress than this, but I keep forgetting to take pictures, I will take more during the weekend.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to work

We finally got back to work as a team this past weekend. Over the holidays Blake worked on the trailer solo while spending some time up in College Station with his family. He was able to get the gooseneck painted, the brakes completely finished and working. So now the trailer is fully haulable with brakes, safety chains and the breakaway kit. The only issue that has surfaced is that there is a slight delay in the braking system. Come to find out it is pretty common when you have an electric over hydraulic actuators. Makes sense that it takes a little time for a pump to build enough pressure to engage the disc calipers. Since the rest of us had other plans over the holidays Blake was on is his own so needless to say we didn't get too much done. After the holidays Blake pulled the trailer down to Humble and parked it at Eric's house.

The next step in our trailer's construction was to frame it in and start getting it ready to finish out. So Blake and I got the baseplates in and bolted down onto the trailer cab, and put the studs up and framed around the awning.

We will finish out the framing and then start to run electrical, stereo wire, TV cable, etc. It is definitely starting to come together!